October 23, 2008

Diet and Food


The last few weeks I've been dieting...trying to lose the 10lbs. of extra weight that I had even before I had my son (16 months ago). I started by doing a version of Weight watchers that my cousin told me about (primarly about eating smaller portions and counting calories). I've NEVER been a dieter (love food way too much) but on WW I got good results, lost about 6lbs in the first three weeks and was able to eat some decent foods with out totally depriving myself. The bad thing is I've been buying lots of packaged foods like smart ones and lean pockets because they are easy to track on my diet and really convienent.

So..feeling good about my weight loss, I went to my BFF's down in Paso Robles and we made a trip to target. She picked up the book "Skinny Bitch" and said "you have to read this".
The title is a little misleading because at first glance I thought it was about some hollywood celebrity diet but once I opened it I couldn't put it down. I highly recommend everyone read this book.
the book talks about our meat and dairy industry...and just how many chemicals the government lets large corporations put in our foods (which by the way are cancer causing). So of course as I'm reading this book I'm thinking about all the chemicals in my "convienent packaged foods" that I've been eating :(.
I've been losing weight but I think in the wrong way(deep down I knew this). A lot of the foods I've been eating are prepackaged which means chemicals and preservatives and it's hard for your body to process chemicals. I don't want to get totally nerotic and start eating hay and dirt but this book definitely makes me think twice about my current diet and what I put in my mouth. Back to the drawing board...




No comments: